Do you ever forget to take time out for yourself? I know I do. In fact, I am pretty terrible at self-care. I’ve lost count of how often I’ve set aside time to relax only to find it squished and finally erased from my diary by the ironing pile, grocery shopping, cleaning the floors, or completing paperwork. I do know that it’s important though. As someone who suffers from chronic health conditions I am determined to become better at looking after myself.
So, starting afresh, I wanted to share my self-care ideas with you all which I will be putting into practice over the late autumn/ winter period and beyond. Let me know what you would add!
1. Put diary dates in with friends across a few months so that there is always a social occasion on the horizon.
2. Sign up and pay in advance for an exercise group (I’m going to join this lovely lady for her women’s only class).
3. Schedule time for paperwork and stick to it. One email written or one phonecall made can make all the difference, it doesn’t all have to happen at once. One thing at a time.
4. Take a walk in the countryside.
5. Phone family.
6. Say ‘no’ to something or someone instead of over committing.
7. Get into bed up or curl up on the sofa under a blanket with a great book (like one of these).
8. Make a cup of tea, and sip it whilst listening to new music.
9. Have a long shower.
10. Turn off all electronic devices for the evening and get an early night.
11. Do something which has immediate results – for example, knit, bake, draw.
12. Get up early and watch the sun rise.
13. Go cloud watching.
14. Limit food choices – pick a few options and stick to these for an entire week.
15. Go to the library.
16. Try something new.
17. Try something old, long forgotten.
18. Take a holiday.
19. Have a nap.
20. Buy yourself flowers.
What will you be doing to look after yourself over the coming weeks? I hope that this might help if you need inspiration.