Ahhh, rock cakes! They take me right back to my childhood. When everyone else was making beautiful biscuits, butterfly cupcakes and marbled flapjack, I was chucking the mix on a baking tray and enjoying the misshapen rock cakes that emerged half an hour later. Over the years I’ve perfected my recipe for these, and now my boys are masters at making them too. In fact, they are possibly the first thing that we baked together! So, our family recipe…
225g self raising flour
100g plant based spread
75g mixed dried fruit
40g dried cranberries
1 tbs sunflower oil
25ml plant milk
1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the spread and rub together until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
3. Add the sugar and fruit.
4. Add the oil and milk and mix into a stiff batter.
5. Using a soup or dessert spoon, measure a scoop of the mixture out onto a greased baking tray.
6. Continue until all of the mixture is used up, leaving space in between each scoop.
7. Do not press into a shape, just leave them to rise unevenly!
8. Bake at 180 degrees for approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
9. Leave to cool then voila! Enjoy.
Like this recipe? Why not try out our Apricot Oaty Bites too.